Roller skating and skateboarding are summer and spring traditions in Nevada that you must try if you haven’t delved into them yet. They are fun, and you get to explore the city and its environs in the dozen safe skating spots in it. These may be on curbs, bicycle driveways, or skateparks and sports trucks in the city’s sports and exercise fields.
But before you immerse yourself into it, you need to be aware of what it entails to skate. This is not only important so that you can practice safe skating, but also to learn the sport in detail. You have to be in top physical shape to maneuver the board. Mimic the gliding movement to guide your board in the directions the wheels take.
Learning to skate is fairly simplified, and you can be in a good position to skate on your own after a few lessons. Care should be taken in the sport, especially as a beginner. Seek the services of a professional teacher or an experienced mate who will teach you the dos and don’ts in the sport.
This is because you can get seriously hurt from a fall off the board or while wearing roller shoes. Today, technology has eased access to information. Take time and watch tutorials from YouTube and other free social media spaces that will train you to get better at skating.
Quick Steps to Learning How to Skate
Make a point of learning the basics of skating first before taking on the track on your own. Here are the five primary steps in skating with roller shoes or a skateboard:
- Put on skating equipment-this includes safety gear like helmet, knee and elbow guards, gloves, etc.
- Get into the right position, i.e., knee position, back bending, and shoulder placement. This helps with balancing out your body weight to achieve more stability while on wheels.
- Walk with a duck-like manner
- Learn gliding-mimic sliding movements leaning the body to the opposite direction to which you want to move. Learn to push yourself faster to gain traction on the wheels.
- Practice your stoppage techniques needed for emergencies, turning, maneuvering, etc.
Skate Shops in Las Vegas
Now you are equipped with the skill portfolio-you need to get gear to skate, right? Las Vegas boasts shops selling quality merchandise from safety gear to skating boards and shoes. Get custom products and branded units from top manufacturers stocked in these shops that trickle quality.
The boards are made from quality wood and plastic that withstand high tensions without shattering. The wheels are high-grade plastic or rubber cast to ensure both grip and longevity. Here is a list of the spots to hit when you want to buy new equipment as a beginner, replace old worn-out ones or get your shoe repaired before you go skating in the park.
- Address: 4555 S. Fort Apache Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89147
- Hours: Tuesday to Saturday: 11.00 am-7.00 pm, Sunday: 111.00 am-6.00 pm
Powder and Sun is a seasoned seller store for both in-house and branded merchandise made for skating. Get the latest stock in pro decks, longboards, shortboards, skate wheels, and skating safety gear from top brands like Nike. Apparel suitable for skating (branded or otherwise) is also sold here. Make your way to the store to get astonishing low prices of merchandise that will save you a few bucks.
The team at the shop is conversant with the skating industry. You will have a wonderful team to talk about all things skating. This comes in handy when you want to be guided around the shopping experience. Come for new skating gear purchases or the frequent repairs and replacements of parts at the shop at budget prices. They have seasonal sales from summer to winter, so you need not worry about the stock dwindling.
- Address: 3050 Westwood Drive #A17, Las Vegas, NV 89109
- Hours: Appointments only
If you are looking to venture into skateboard sales or to buy a few custom-made longboards for you and your friends, Point Distribution has got your back. Unlike many skate shops, they manufacture skates and assemble them from the ground up. You will get a custom order of your skateboards, with printed designs on the board and the wheels.
They make their products from durable material, with wheels sourced from quality manufacturers who uphold ISO standards. You can be sure of the quality and sturdiness of the board with their extensive QC testing on their workshop. Most of the assembling is done by hand, meaning there is that extra care for your board. Get in touch with them through their website and enjoy a nice smooth roll.
- Address: 1300 W. Sunset Rd #1515, Henderson, NV 89014
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11.00 am-7.00 pm, Friday to Saturday: 11.00 am-8.00 pm, Sunday: 12.00 pm-6.00 pm
This is a modern skate shop that offers everything you need to skate successfully right here in Vegas. Buy the crowd’s favorite branded skateboards, apparel, and designer skating shoe collections from popular brands, like Vans, Emerica, Converse, Adidas, and New Balance.
They are dedicated to ensuring that your shopping experience at the shop is seamless, from product orders to when you see the cashier. You can either visit their physical shop on Sunset road or shop online on their website for all these amazing brands.
- Address: 6611 Las Vegas Blvd. Bldg. G A145, Las Vegas, NV 89119
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 10.00 am-9.00 pm, Friday and Saturday: 10.00 am-10.00 pm, Sunday: 11.00 am-8.00 pm
If you are in the ropes trying to find that retail shop that misses nothing, then you are about to discover Zumiez. Rock your skate world with the dozens of new branded merchandise and skating equipment in this spot. You can buy quality brands like Adidas, Vans, Nike SB, Diamond Supply, Obey, Primitive, and RIPNDRIP. Be a literal skate god with the vast array of selections in shoes, hoods, tees, and mavins to take with you to the skating rinks. It is near South Mainstreet offering new products daily.
Other Zumiez shops in the Las Vegas area are:
- Address: 10975 Sage Park Dr. #160, Las Vegas, NV 89135
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10.00 am-8.00 pm, Sunday: 11.00 am-7.00 pm
- Address: 7400 S. Vegas Blvd. #206, Vegas, NV 89123
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11.00 am-8.00 pm, Friday to Saturday: 10.00 am-9.00 pm, Sunday: 10.00 am- 8.00 pm
- Address: 3200 Las Vegas Blvd. #2740, Las Vegas, NV 89109
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10.00 am-9.00 pm, Sunday: 11.00 am-7.00 pm
- Address: 4300 Meadow Lane #219, Las Vegas, NV 89107
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11.00 am-7.00 pm, Friday and Saturday: 10.00 am-8.00 pm, Sunday: 12.00 pm-6.00 pm
- Address: 875 S. Grand Central Pkwy #1132, Vegas, NV 89106
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11.00 am-8.00 pm, Friday to Saturday: 10.00 am-9.00 pm, Sunday: 10.00 am-8.00 pm
- Address: 1300 W. Sunset Rd. #1380, Henderson, NV 89104
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 10.00 am-7.00 pm, Friday and Saturday: 10.00 am-8.00 pm, Sunday: 11.00 am-6.00 pm
- Address: 35285 Maryland Pkwy. #190, Las Vegas, NV 89169
- Hours: Monday to Sunday: 11.00 am-8.00 pm
- Address: 9775 W Russell Rd. #120, Las Vegas, NV 89148
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10.00 am-8.00 pm, Sunday: 11.00 am-6.00 pm
Buy all essentials to skating in this Vegas skating shop. It stocks current trendy skating gear from wheels to boards. Get your skating board repaired here at an affordable price. You can custom repair and maintenance jobs done to your preference, provided they are safe.
Don’t have enough money to buy a skate? Or are you in Vegas visiting only and don’t want to spend on a skateboard? Rent your skating gear from this shop, and you can book it for a few hours or the whole season. You have to return as given to avoid confrontations and fines.
Skating shops in Las Vegas are not as many, but they offer a pool of items that will make your skating safer and more enjoyable. From renowned chain stores like Zumiez to local skating shops, you get the quality of internationally acclaimed brands like Nike and Vans, Adidas, Converse, and RIPNDRIP. Get affordable prices with a knowledgeable staff who will guide you on your skating equipment journey.
Most of these shops offer physical or online shopping options. They include delivery for convenience, so you don’t have to drive to the physical location unless you want to. Make the most out of skating by investing in quality longboards, shortboards, new wheels, and decks for your play. Remember to wear safety gear like helmets and knee and arm guards to avoid bruises from accidental falls.